Saturday, May 16, 2009

Grinding

I was at Sams' Club today and was looking at the prices of meat. Chuck roast was 1.98 per pound and ground beef 80/20 was 2.48 per pound. So, I am going to try something new tomorrow - I am going to dice up the chuck then grind it myself. I already have the food grinder I have just never used it for meat. I'll let you know how it goes. If it goes well, I will have saved .50 per pound and instead of a 'mystery mix' of meats for ground beef, it will be all chuck, or round or sirloin or whatever I want. You could also do it for turkey, chicken or pork. You can grind veggies with the food grinder for sauce making if you have folks in your family who want the benefits of homemade sauces, but don't like chunky vegetables. I can live with making sauces smoother so my hubby is happier. He doesn't mind veggies, he's just not into chunky sauces. What else could I use a food grinder for?



5/18 - I did the ground beef today - very easy and it looks much better than the store stuff. Took all of 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of a food grinder do you have? Is it what you use for your grains too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, my meat grinder is just a Kitchenaid attachment(the grinder plus pasta plates), costs maybe $50. My wheat grinder is a diffrent machine altogether. Kitchen aid does make a grain grinder attachment though, it's about $175.

    ReplyDelete