Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Freezing Milk

I will admit that I have never done this. However, a mom in my homeschool group says she does this routinely so she doesn't have to pack up her 4 small children just to go to the store for more milk. She also says she uses about 4 gallons of week, so that's a lot of going to the store.

According to her, she buys a lot of it from Sam's when she goes because it's cheaper there than anywhere else and she just pops it into the freezer, she doesn't take the top off or pour any out at all and had never had an explosion issue. I am going to try this, and I'll let you know.


She also says she just takes a gallon out at night and by morning it's almost completely thawed and she just puts it in the fridge to finish.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of doing this, although I haven't tried it in the freezer.

    I will say I've had milk freeze if it stays in the back of the fridge too long. It kind of separates, but with a good shake I think it should be fine. I don't think anyone would notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have heard of doing this. However, I don't. I'm funny about milk. We don't drink it if it is on the expiration date. Truthfully, I don't even like to use it the day before the expiration. I'm not sure why...just one of our things. I use tons of milk, so it is not very often that we get to the expiration date. Also, my USDA food program rules do not allow me to use frozen milk. But! it could be a pretty good money saver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this quite often too and have never had an issue. Just shake well as it thaws.

    Found you on Biblical Womanhood.

    ReplyDelete